Welcome to Year 1.
The year 1 classes and teachers are:
Amber - Miss Nisar
Saffron - Mrs Dawson
Orange - Mrs Akhter
Amber - Tuesday
Orange & Saffron - Monday
Please ensure that your child has their PE kit in school and that it is labelled with their name:
- black leggings/shorts/tracksuit bottoms
- white T-shirt with the Heybrook logo on (this is provided by school)
- black pumps/trainers
Please make sure your child's PE kit stays in school. We will send the kits home just before half term for them to be washed and returned.
If your child has earrings in, please take them out beforehand.
We will be using the Forest School area throughout the year and kindly ask you to bring in some wellies for your child. These will be stored in school. We ask for wellies as this will avoid your child's school shoes from getting dirty. Please make sure that your child's name is clearly labelled on them.
All children in Year 1 have been given a reading book and a reading record. Please try to read with your child at least 3 times a week and record this in the reading record. At the front of the reading record, there are some prompts that are there to help you ask your child some questions to help them retrieve (find) information from the book. We would like your child to bring the reading book and reading record into school daily so we can listen to them read. They should stay in your child's bag.
Our key question for this half term is:
What would Beegu find in Rochdale?
This half term we are learning to:
- Count and sort objects
- Count forwards and backwards
- Compare and order numbers
- Find number bonds within 10
- Addition facts
Everyone has a login to Mathletics. Please make sure that you complete the work that has been set by your teacher. - https://www.mathletics.com/uk/
We have been exploring the book Beegu by Alexis Deacon. The children are going to describe Beegu, create a friend for Beegu and write a letter to Beegu. We are focusing on the children using capital letters and full stops and using their phonics to help them spell words correctly. The children will also predict how they think the story will end.
The children are currently recapping Phase 3 phonics and learning Phase 4 phonics (consonant blends).
Children can practise their phonics on Phonics Play which has some free phonics games.
Our science topic this half term is Animals including humans.
The children will be learning to:
- Identify, name, draw and label the basic parts of the human body and say which part of the body is associated with each sense.
- Identify and name a variety of common animals including fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals
- Identify and name a variety of common animals that are carnivores, herbivores and ominovres
- Describe and compare the structure of a variety of common animals.
This half term the children will be learning about the local area:
- Where the UK is on a world map and where Rochdale is on a map
- Know key landmarks around school and in Rochdale
- How to follow a map and how to follow simple directions
This half term the children will:
- Manipulate malleable materials for a purpose (e.g. create a friend for Beegu from salt dough)
- Understand the safety and basic care of materials and tools
- Experiment with construction and joining materials
- Create simple representations of people and other things
This half term the children are looking at why their class is a happy and safe place to learn and thinking of examples of where they or their peers make the class happy and safe.
This half term, the children are learning about the Christian Creation Story.
This half term, the children are going to use Bee Bots during continuous provision to:
- Describe what actions they need to do to make something happen
- Press buttons in the correct order to make the robot do what they want
- Predict what will happen for a short sequence of instructions