Welcome to Year 5.
The year 5 classes and teachers are:
Azure - Miss Hussain
Cobalt - Mr Ali
Indigo - Miss De'Ath
Please ensure that your child reads for at least 15 minutes, a minimum of 3 times a week. They must also use the question prompts and sentence stems in the front of their reading record to make comments about their books.
All children also have spellings to practise at home and will be tested every Friday. They are expected to return completed spellings homework and will be rewarded.
Each child has a username and password for Times Tables Rockstars. If they forget their log in, they should ask their class teacher. Children will be rewarded green points each week for accessing TTRS at home and extra green points will be given to 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. There is an app you can download or you can access it here: https://ttrockstars.com/
Every child also has a log in for Mathletics where they can complete homework set by their teacher each week and have access to lots of maths games. Again, if they forget their username and password, they should ask their class teacher. There is an app you can download or you can access it here: https://www.mathletics.com/uk/
Azure - Thursday.
Cobalt - Thursday.
Indigo - Tuesday morning.
Please ensure that your child has the correct PE kit in school every day: black leggings/shorts/tracksuit bottoms, a white t-shirt and black pumps. We will have PE lessons outside as much as possible so please also bring a warmer jacket and suitable footwear (e.g. trainers).
Our key question this half term is, Would you have joined the Endurance?
In English we will be reading Shackleton's Journey by William Grill. Our writing outcomes will include a motivational speech and a newspaper report. Grammar will continue to be embedded within English lessons. We will also be reading other texts linked to our topic and building on our comprehension skills.
In Maths we will be focussing on fractions, decimals and percentages.
In Science, we will be learning all about materials. You may help your child by helping them to understand the following vocabulary: filtering, sieving, acid, mixing, dissolve, thermal insulator, thermal conductor, mixtures, reversible, absorb.
In History we will be learning all about Ernest Shackleton's Endurance expedition and also about biomes. You may help your child by helping them to understand the following vocabulary: biome, tundra, Antarctic, expedition, uninhabitable, equipment, voyage, source.
In Art we will be focussing on creating a landscape drawing of Antarctica using water colours and oil pastels.
In RE we will be learning about Christianity. Our key question is: How significant is it for Christians to believe God intended Jesus to die?
In Computing we will be investigating multimedia and creating our own multimedia adverts using power point.
Additional ideas for learning at home:
- https://uk.ixl.com/ has lots of different online Maths questions to complete.
- Have fun scoring goals and answering quick fire maths questions at https://plprimarystars.com/for-families/play-game (different levels - challenge yourself!)
- Find great DAILY short videos, tasks and answers at http://www.iseemaths.com/lessons56/
- Access fun games, challenges, times tables checks and lots more at https://www.themathsfactor.com/
- Find printable packs along with guidance for parents/carers here: https://www.mathematicsmastery.org/free-resources
- https://uk.ixl.com/ has lots of different online grammar questions to complete.
- Score more goals by answering spelling questions at https://plprimarystars.com/for-families/play-game (different levels - challenge yourself!)
- Find printable packs, along with guidance for parents/carers here: https://www.mathematicsmastery.org/free-resources
- Have a go at some exciting Science experiments at home! Here you can find videos with instructions and scientific explanations. Or just watch for fun! https://new.siemens.com/uk/en/company/education/students/diy-videos.html
- Find lots of clips and games for across the curriculum at https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/levels/zbr9wmn